Bognor were well beaten at the MKM Arena as they went four goals without response against Eastbourne United in the league on Sunday .  Despite having chances, the Rockettes could not find the net in a day to forget.

Bognor were back at home again after getting knocked out of the Reposs Isthmian Women’s Cup semi final in midweek against Ashford United.  This time back in league action, the Rockettes welcomed Eastbourne United to the MKM Arena, hoping to return to form.

Early on Georgia Selby in the Bognor goal had to gather a pass back that was hit behind her in he box but she did well to gather it ahead of Grace Hill.

Macie Downs did well to hold control and pass forward towards Laura Barton but she couldn’t get to the ball in the 4th minute.

On 6 minutes a long range left-footed strike by Hill for the visitors crashed of the crossbar and out in the first chance for either side.

Bognor’s Millie Carter latched onto an intercepted pass in midfield from Hill and instantly set Georgina Starkey through the middle.  However, her shot from outside the box was easily shut down and Meagan Sagar easily stopped it soon after in the Eastbourne United goal.

Kirsty Willett did well to get Bognor on the attack in the 14th minute and she squared the ball to Barton who hit it early from outside the box.  Though again, it was saved by Sagar.

But the Rockettes went behind when they made a mistake at the back allowing Hill in to make a small run before shooting low beyond a diving Selby in the 15th minute.

The Rockettes did react when Faye Trinidad did well after Starkey won back possession in Bognor’s half.  Trinidad fed Carter through the middle to run on and eventually shoot but it was low and easily saved.

Then the roles reversed in the 18th minute as Carter’s shot was parried by Sagar into the path of Trinidad who had a powerful shot on the rebound saved as well, in a fantastic opportunity to draw level.

Downs had to defend a chance forcing a corner for Eastbourne United.  Selby gathered it after first throwing an arm in at the cross before Hill tried a low header off the floor but this allowed the goalkeeper to gather it.

Hill, the goalscorer, was replaced by Annabel Worcester for the visitors on 24 minutes.

Already a threat, Worcester started to already get Eastbourne United on the attack.  However, after beating Willett on the right, her fiercely hit low cross failed to find a teammate in the box on 26 minutes.

Starkey combined with Jade Widdowson to allow her to hit a pass through the middle.  But it was too much for Carter who couldn’t get their ahead of the goalkeeper.

Eastbourne United extended their lead on 30 minutes.  A neat ball over the top by Ella McManus found the quick Worcester who hit it nicely and early on the half volley high into the net.

On 34 minutes Rockettes were trying to get a goal back as Carter did well to dig out a cross on the left.  The ball bounced through to Starkey but, on the turn, her strike was easily saved.

On 36 minutes a simple ball down the right saw Barton easily stay onside and her run ended in a low effort which was stopped by Sagar, who got down well to stop it.

Starkey was fouled by Holly Carter on the touchline.  Lou Lou Robson’s high freekick into the box was good but after Barton put it out onto the left to Trinidad, her low strike was low and wide of the left post on 40 minutes.

Georgia Townsend’s direct freekick was pushed away by Selby’s right glove in a great save on 42 minutes.

Eastbourne United were enjoying a lot of attacks and won some corners in quick succession.  One of which Selby gathered comfortably and another that bounced directly out for a goal kick.

Worcester had one last chance before the half time break, smashing an effort wide direct from an attempted clearance.

HT 0-2

Gemma Lingfield came on for the Rockettes in the second half, replacing Robson, who appeared to pull up with her hamstring after her impressive freekick in the first half.

Hill was back on for the visitors after her 15th minute goal in the first half.

Bognor needed to find a way back into the game after being two goals behind at half time.

Emily Copeland Dinan brought the ball down well but eventually her ball across the box was met by Worcester and she forced Selby into a good save.  Then Selby denied the same player moments later, deflecting a strike wide of the goal for a corner on 50 minutes.

Rockettes were trying to build attacks in response with Annabelle Gracey and Kayleigh Akmenkalns creating space, with a pass from Carter unfortunately getting shut down by the United defence.

Then down the other end, McManus hit a shot from distance but it didn’t trouble Selby on 56 minutes.

A nice ball over the top by Gracey saw Akmenkalns run onto it to win a corner.  Barton got a good cross in but it was well cut out by Sagar on 62 minutes.

In response, McManus had beaten Selby as she dashed out of her goal but after rounding her, the low strike was hit wide of the open goal.

A miscued pass out from the back allowed Copeland Dinan in but it was a crucial challenge by Widdowson that denied her advance into the box on 65 minutes.

Willett lost possession cheaply allowing Hill a chance from distance.  Though her strike was easy for Selby to gather.

Barton’s left sided deep cross into the area was spilt by Sagar but cleared by her defence on 71 minutes as Bognor were certainly playing in an improved second half.

Hill had strayed offside on 73 minutes before firing it into the net and so what would have beennher second goal, didnt count.

Izzy Laurels then replaced Hill in the 74th minute for he visitors as it looked set for them to get a win with the time running out for the Rockettes.

Robson came back on for Starkey in the 75th minute as Akmenkalns required treatment from manager Matt Trinidad, holding up play in a hard-working outing for the Rockettes.

Bognor went further behind on 79 minutes.  A throw in by Akmenkalns was cut out by Copeland Dinan who diverted the ball across and it was Worcester who smacked it low and into the net for her second of the afternoon since coming on as a substitute in the first half.

On 82 minutes Bognor had a great chance as Carter was set through down the middle, and she beat her marker before firing it wide of the right post.  She thought she had won a corner after a deflection but a goal kick was awarded by the referee.

Akmenkalns came off again and on returned Starkey up front for the Rockettes with 84 minutes on the clock.

Lingfield did well to find Carter’s run past the defence.  But when she went to strike it the ball bobbled up and she fired her effort over the bar with her right foot on 86 minutes.

Then a chipped ball down the middle saw Carter speed through again but Sagar was there out of her goal the earliest to close it down on 88 minutes.

Lauren Roberts fired Eastbourne United’s fourth goal of the afternoon as Laurels pounced on a loose ball in the box.  Roberts slotted the ball along the deck and into the net one minute into stoppage time.

With over 3 minutes of additional time added on with Widdowson moved up top to try and get a goal back, it wasn’t to be for the Rockettes and they lost this game against a well organised Eastbourne United side at the MKM Arena, who took all the points.

FT 0-4

Rockettes: 1 Selby, 2 Gracey, 3 Willett, 4  Downs, 5 Robson, 7 Carter, 8 Akmenkalns, 9 Trinidad, 10 Barton, 12 Starkey, 13 Widdowson, 14 Lingfield