Women's First Team
The Reposs Women's Cup Wed 8 November MKM Arena
Bognor Regis Town

Guernsey grabbed a consolation strike from the spot in the 87th minute after captain Candice Bougourd found the net.

Rockettes had won their last fixture away to Steyning and hoped to continue in this form in cup competition.  Millie Carter and Lou Lou Robson got the goals on the road there.  But now they faced Guernsey at the MKM Arena.Paige Kersey was playing a high line forcing the Guernsey goalkeeper to have to kick the ball out of play as Bognor were playing some good passing football in the early stages.

Carter did well to latch onto Anabelle Gracey’s right-sided cross into the box.  Her header was only just cleared off the line by a defender after just 7 minutes.

Bognor went into the lead on 12 minutes.  Carter cut inside after a forward pass by Macie Downs set her up.  She stayed strong to hold possession of the ball before belting it, right footed, into the top left corner of the net from outside the box.  A fine strike.

Macie Downs latched onto a Bognor throw in to pass out wide to the ever dangerous Gracey but she diverted it wide of the left post with her strike on 16 minutes.  She was in mountains of space in the build up.

Kersey tried to battle in the air from a cross coming from the right but Carter followed up the loose ball behind her to hit a low effort off the defender.  This forced the goalkeeper into yet another save, pushing it around her near post.

Kirsty Willett was working really well in Bognor’s left back position, holding back the threat down the Guernsey right flank and also getting Bognor on the attack.

On 39 minutes, a squared corner to Carter ended when she only just steered her shot wide. Then Kersey hit a long distance effort over the goalkeeper but it crashed off the right post moments later.  Carter, on the rebound, fired her strike straight at the goalkeeper.

Carter, who was creating all the chances in the latter stages of the first half, played a weighted pass through to Kersey but unfortunately she rolled her effort wide of the left post.

HT 1-0

No substitutions were made at half time as things restarted for the remainder of the game with Bognor having a narrow lead.

Carter was starting to come into the game again in the second half and after a short run swiped her strike wide of the far post.

Georgina Starkey headed over the bar soon after following a great cross from the right flank but she was able to extend Bognor’s lead in the 75th minute.  A nice flowing attacking move saw 6 hold the ball up for 10 to play it down the flank for 2 to knock it beyond her marker and speed down the right hand side.  She crossed it straight onto the boot of 19 who diverted it in on her first touch, low into the bottom right corner.

The referee continued play after Carter appeared hurt after a sliding challenge.  This didn’t go down well with the Bognor managerial team and the referee warned them of the laws of the game before finally asking for treatment.  Carter had to be replaced but was applauded off for a great performance and replaced by Lou Lou Robson.

Rockettes conceded a very soft penalty on 87 minutes.  The player deemed to have been fouled in the area required treatment for a knee injury.  It didn’t look like a foul but this gave the visitors some hope and the penalty was converted.

Bognor did enough and were mainly dominant to head into the next round.  Positive signs but also some injuries worries to contend with.The Rockettes face Herne Bay next at the MKM Arena with kick off at 2pm back in the league.

FT 2-0

1 Nicole Robinson
2 Alice Gue
3 Kirsty Willett
4 Macie Downs
5 Loulou Robson
7 Millie Carter
8 Kate Delillis
9 Paige Kersey
10 Laura Barton
11 Annabelle Gracey
13 Jade Widdowson

6 Shannon Nolan
16 Georgia Selby
17 Kayleigh Akmenkains
18 Kerri Grant
19 Georgina Starkey