Men's First Team
Isthmian League Premier Division Sat 23 September MKM Arena
Bognor Regis Town

Isaac Olaniyan won an early corner for Bognor on the left.  Calvin Davies’s corner ball was curling in but this was easily headed away.

Joe Rabbetts made a strong run down the left but had run out of support and conceded the ball after a strong touch.

Kieran Douglas blocked a chance and shouts for a penalty were ignored for handball but his arms were in a natural position on 8 minutes.

Davies combined with Olaniyan but scooped his cross wide of the near post on 10 minutes.

Dan Gifford stole possession just outside the K’s box but after running in and passing back to Olaniyan and his cross to the back post, no one was there to capitalise.

Jasper Mather was set up on the right and it was Harvey Whyte who played him in.  He found Lucas Pattenden inside the area but he dragged his effort along the deck and wide of the left post on 13 minutes.

Andy Somo had a run and shot fly over the bar after an incisive run from Eddie D’Sane soon after.

Mather was brought down.  And it was Davies who got the ball in but Craig Robson headed it inside but the Ks cleared the danger.

Davies slid in late as Kingstonian attacked and on the halfway line was booked on 17 minutes.

On 20 minutes, Whyte did well to get the ball in the area. Douglas did well to latch onto it but curled the ball over from just inside the box after a neat move.

Pattenden burst into the area before he passed into the box, but Gifford was denied by the defender straight away.

The manager for Kingstonian was shown a yellow card on 24 minutes as frustrations were growing for both sides.

Darnell Goather-Braithwate did well to get a shot away that was just wide of the far post after decent work by Emmanuel Adebiyi.

Rabbetts got a nice cross in for Pattenden to head across the box and it was Gifford who got a header on it but it flew wide on 35 minutes.

On 37 minutes Pattenden made another run across defence but after passing it in a one two for Gifford he curled it wide of the right post.

Whyte made a long run before shooting straight at Rob Tolfrey on 41 minutes as Rocks’s final third was lacking.

Olaniyan was a nuisance for Bognor as Matt Burgess was blocked.

Goather-Braithwate had a shot deflected wide and then Rocks had a chance as Gifford shot straight into the arms of Tolfrey inside first half stoppage time.

Right at the end of the half Whyte dug out a cross for Mather to see him head it powerfully at goal. But Tolfrey was equal to it to push the ball away in Bognor’s best chance of the game so far.

HT 0-0

A clash of heads saw Gifford and Adebiyi go to ground on the halfway line which held up play as both received treatment due to concussion protocols.

Olaniyan was good in his run down the left but his cross spun out of play for a goal kick.

A freekick from the left was taken by Davies but it was Matt Drage who headed it away again.  Davies spun in the corner but Tolfrey was fouled in the area.

Then Rabbetts was fouled just outside the box as everyone stopped.  Davies stepped up but curled it wide of the goal on 60 minutes.

Olaniyan ran inside from the left but his shot was deflected high and eventually cleared by Drage again as Bognor couldn’t find a goal again.

Bognor got the goal they needed though on 63 minutes.  Gifford stole possession on the halfway line before bursting through and finding Mather on the overlap.  He ran on before shooting low beyond Tolfrey into the bottom left corner, giving Bognor the lead.

Pattenden chipped a deflected cross in from the right but Tolfrey did enough to deflect it away.

Then Rocks won a penalty on 66 minutes.  Jude Mason went into the book for fouling Pattenden.  Up stepped Gifford looking for his first goal but it was well saved by Tolfrey who saved it again on the rebound from Gifford.

On 73 minutes, Whyte ran through and found Dan Smith up front and he twisted with the ball but his shot was hit straight at Tolfrey.

Douglas was in for a last ditch challenge to deny Somo.  But the corner in was punched away by Ryan Hall on 78 minutes.

Douglas went into the book for a late challenge on the right.  Mark Waters curled it into the area from the freekick but Drage headed it straight at Hall.

Robbie Blake went into the book for something he said on the touchline on 82 minutes.

Waters received a square pass from the left but he dragged his shot along the deck and wide of the left post on 84 minutes.

On 86 minutes Burgess went into the book as he pulled a player back in the heart of the pitch.

Rudy Allen cut inside with his run before letting fly with his right footed effort and forcing Hall into a diving save on 2 minutes into stoppage time as seven additional was indicated.

Douglas blocked another strike on the bounce as the visitors won another corner. Goalkeeper Tolfrey went up for the corner.  It was a was poor cross though and it was Bradley Lethbridge who pounced on the break as he ran through and picked out Davies on the overlap, who ran the whole length of the pitch to knock the ball into an unguarded net in the 4th minute of stoppage time.

That settled Bognor’s first victory at the MKM Arena this season.  They travel to Potters Bar Town on Saturday 30 September with kick off at 3pm.

Rocks: Hall, Whyte, Rabbetts, Davies (c), Douglas, Robson, Pattenden (Lethbridge 89), Burgess, Gifford (Howick 90), Mather, Olaniyan (Smith 70)